Stubborn clogs or odors coming from your kitchen or bathroom drain are more than an inconvenience. In fact, clogs can also make it impossible to use the sinks or tubs in your home according to their design. Cleaning drains does not have to be complicated, and there is no reason for this task to be dangerous to your family’s health either.
Unpleasant odors are the easiest of all to fix, but one should remember to do this regularly for best results. Nevertheless, the same treatment used to rid drains of unwanted odors will also help prevent or clear clogged drains. Accumulations of bacteria, organic residue and grease build up in drains and cause clogs and odor.
5 Easy Tips on Cleaning Drains
Clog Busting Recipe
1. To get rid of clogs and odors, sprinkle one cup of baking soda down the drain and follow that with a cup of white vinegar. This mixture will foam and there will be fumes that you don’t want to breathe in so stay back from the sink when pouring the vinegar. Leave this to work its magic for about 20 minutes then follow that with a kettle of boiling water.
Enzymatic And Biological Cleaners
2. Enzymatic and biological drain cleaners such as Citra-Drain or Zep are environmentally friendly and safer than chemical based drain cleaners. Used regularly, these will prevent clogs and odors by getting rid of buildups of mold and bacteria along with other organic materials that cause them. Just follow the directions on the package.
Garbage Disposal Odors
3. Ice, lemon peels and salt can be used to eliminate bad odors coming from garbage disposals. Just like other bad drain odors, the reason for them is a buildup of bacteria and organic residue. The mixture of ice, lemon peels and salt will remove this buildup when you add them together to the disposal. Turn the disposal on to allow it to grind the buildup away.
4. Using an old fashioned plunger is a great method of cleaning drains. Remember to add enough water to the sink or tub to cover the bottom and create a seal over the drain. Place the plunger tightly over the drain and pump it up and down several times. You’ll need to close off one side of a double sink with a secure plug or washcloth before plunging.
5. If you suspect grease is the cause of a clogged drain, it is possible to clear this by running boiling water down the drain to melt it away. This could take awhile depending on the extent of the grease buildup.
Any plumbing problems can result to inconvenience and absolute discomfort. If you have blocked drains, might us well call in a professional plumber for an immediate solution. You can contact us today. We provide affordable, quality plumbing services for your Perth home.